Home   Juggling  

New to CaringYoung CarersParent CarersWorking CarersOlder CarersLife After Caring

Carers GrantNews / EventsGeneral informationPractical SupportHealth & WellbeingFinancial Help
Useful Links

2005 - 2019 © All Rights Reserved

St James Centre
344 Laird Street
CH41 7AL
Tel: 0151 522 7990
Fax: 0151 670 1600
Minicom: 0151 653 3230

Company No: 2997803
Charity No: 1060105

Older Carers

Support for older carers

Older carers can become the most ‘invisible’ of all carers. As an older carer, you may be caring for your adult child who may have physical disabilities, learning disabilities, mental health problems or other special needs. You may not have any caring responsibilities for a child, but become a carer for your partner, husband or wife. If your partner is affected by Alzheimer’s, dementia or fragility for example, you may well become their carer. This can become a massive strain on you, especially if you experience ill health yourself.

If you find your needs as a family are no longer being met, it is important to ask for extra support and to consider the options available to you. In some cases you may need to consider an alternative living option for your child or partner, where they will receive the additional support that you can no longer give. Making a will can also help to put your mind at ease about how your family member will be provided for in the future.


Caring for a spouse, partner, family member or friend

There are 2.8 million people over the age of 50 providing unpaid care in the UK, with 5% of carers being over 85.

A quarter of carers who are over 75 provide at least 50 hours of care per week.

You can find out more information about being an older carer from the
Age UK
website -

Additionally, you can contact WIRED who will be able to assist you with any queries you have about looking after a family member or friend. We will also be able to provide advice and resources in relation to respite care, support groups and financial information such as benefit entitlement, help with short breaks, personal budgets and help with household tasks.


A carers assessment undertaken by Social Services can assess the assistance you require to help you care for your family member, and also to support yourself.






Home l About Us l Support Us l Contact Us
Updated April 2015