Financial Help   Juggling  


Tax Credits

If you have dependent children you will need to claim Child Benefit, and probably Child Tax Credit. If you or your partner are working and on a low enough wage, you may also qualify for Working Tax Credit. Unfortunately the new Tax Credit system has no special allowances or concessions for carers.
Wirral Welfare Rights Unit – for free, confidential, independent advice on any benefit and tax credit query, contact them:

You can also write at the following address:-

Wirral Welfare Rights Unit,
conway Building,
conway Street,
CH41 6LA

They will also be able to assist you in relation to National Insurance Credit.
The DirectGov website also provides a wealth of information about Tax Credits at the following address:-

  • Direct Gov website

The Government website has a dedicated section for carers. You will find all of the information you need about benefits, support and services. The address is:


National Insurance Credit

You are credited with National Insurance for any weeks that you receive Carers Allowance. This will help ensure that you get a full State Retirement Pension. From 2002 the credits will also qualify for an additional pension, equivalent to what you would have received if you were working and earning about £12,000 a year. Carers credits will also qualify you for Incapacity Benefit if you cease being a carer and have health problems.

Back to benefits


Home l About Us l Support Us l Contact Us
Updated April 2015